Wiki | Community | Discussion Forum | Q&A

ROS version roadmap and jderobot pkgs tag naming

Hi everyone,

As you already know ROS has released two new distros in the last two weeks (Noetic and Foxy) and another two are still mantained (Melodic and Kinetic)[1]. Academy is growing a lot lately and it is important to do it an organized way.

What I propose in this post is to define the roadmap to follow in jderobot packages. Also define the tag version reserved for each distro.

From my point of view, we should use different branches to the different distros maintained. Name this development branches as <distro>-devel and also, use different minor version to each distro. For example, v1.X.Y where X will be the rosdistro number and Y will be the patch version number.

Personally, after having released the latest version of drones and assets, I propose the following roadmap packages for these packages.

ASSETS

Only two distros will be maintained, Noetic and Melodic. Kinetic has reached the end of life status.

Noetic Melodic Kinetic
Branch noetic-devel melodic-devel master
Status supported supported EOL
Version 1.1.Y 1.0.Y -
Last Version 1.1.0 1.0.2 1.0.1

DRONES

Nowadays, only one branch is maintained, Melodic. We aim to also maintain Noetic in the coming months. Kinetic has reached the end of life status.

Noetic Melodic Kinetic
Branch noetic-devel melodic-devel master
Status WIP supported EOL
Version 1.4.Y 1.3.Y -
Last Version - 1.3.2 1.0.1

As a summary, the roadmap to follow is:

Noetic Melodic Kinetic
jderobot_assets 1.1.Y 1.0.Y -
jderobot_drones 1.4.Y 1.3.Y -

Finally, please feel free to give your feedback or ask any question.
Also, it will be great if you add to this post a similar roadmap for the packages under your maintenance or even a proposal for any of the jderobot ROS packages.

Cheers,
Pedro.